Horse Lovers will Kick up Their Heels When you Host a Party with Wild Horses!
When you are living with a horse crazed human, there is no better way to celebrate their special occasion than to round up a posse for a Wild Horse party that will leave them all trotting happily into the sunset. With our easy tips on decorations and party supplies, you'll have a whole herd of delightful nickering amongst all the pals in the barn!
Horse Decorations that Will Have them Running for the Barn!
A horse themed party just wouldn't be complete with some tack and barn themed birthday party supplies! Try some of our fun and easy decorations to transport your party into an equestrian lover's fantasy world!
- Purchase straw bales from a local feed store to use them for benches in the backyard or party decorations on a front porch.
- Hire a licensed horse ride company to come to your home and give rides. Most companies usually charge an hourly rate for this service and bring everything they need to give rides to a group, including a shovel for cleanup!
- Contact a local tack store about renting a saddle for the day. Place the saddle over a bale of straw and have each guest hop on their imaginary horse for a fun party photo!
- Cut fence boards from large pieces of cardboard and construct a board style fence along the walls of your party room. After all, we don’t want the horses to escape!
Horse Party Supplies Make a Fun Place to Sit!
If your birthday party guests will be gathered around a table for their feeding time, here is a fun way to decorate each place setting:
- Craft paper stirrups and stirrup fenders from brown and black construction paper and hang them from the sides of each chair for decoration.
- Create horse shoe placemats by cutting out horse shoe shapes from large pieces of gray or silver colored poster board for each place setting. If silver poster board is unavailable, we suggest painting white poster board with some spray paint.
- Set the Wild Horses plates and cups inside the horse shoe placemat. Be sure the horse shoe is pointing with the open part near the center of the table for good luck!
- Purchase white, or turquoise colored bandanas ( a color that coordinates nicely with the Wild Horse theme) tied with some natural colored raffia to use in place of Wild Horse party napkins at each place setting.
- Place a juicy apple at each place setting for each guest munch on! Challenge each birthday party guest to eat them just like a horse would… without hands! Be sure to have your camera ready for the giggles this will generate!
- Plastic horses, stuffed horses and other themed toys make great centerpieces and party decorations. If your party budget allows, the toys can also double up as party favor items for each of your pals to take home!
Horse Party Game: Barrel Racing at The Rodeo!
Barrel racing is a timed rodeo event in which a horse and rider complete a clover-leaf pattern around pre-set barrels that are set in a triangular shape. To play this lively party game you will need a large space, a few items and some fast gaited horses!
- 3 barrels, buckets or cones for running around
- 1 stop watch
- 1 stick horse
Each competitor mounts their horse and waits for the "Ready, Set, Go!" command to ride the cloverleaf pattern. Horse riders cross the start line by entering the imaginary line at the bottom of the triangle and turning to the right to circle around the 1st barrel. After they circle the first barrel the rider will gallop their stick horse straight towards barrel number 2 turning to the left this time. The rider should now be pointed towards the tip of the triangle which is barrel number 3. Barrel number 3 is circled to the left and the rider runs their horse as fast as they can back to the start line! The winner of the event is determined by the fastest time!
A Horse Movie is an Absolute Must for a Sleepover Horse Party!
If your birthday party is a "sleepover" we suggest renting a pile of themed movies to keep your guests entertained! A list of favorites that are suitable for children under 12 include:
- Black Beauty
- The Black Stallion
- Racing Stripes
- National Velvet
- Wild Hearts Can't be Broken
- The Man from Snowy River
- Into the West
Feed your Horses Some Hay with their Horseshoe Shaped Sandwiches!
Serve horse themed party food that is easy and kid friendly. Here are just a few ideas to get your party menu started:
- Carve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches into horseshoe shapes
- A pile of hay, otherwise known as shoestring French fries
- Cup of oats (granola or trail mix)
- Carrot slices with “Ranch” dip
- Apple slices with caramel dip
- Apple juice
- Horse party cupcakes: chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting, topped with green dyed coconut flakes for the grass then embellished with a miniature horse toy – Neighlicious!
Horse Lovers Party Favors
Horses love treats and kids are no different! Purchase miniature galvanized pails (like the ones you see in a barn!) and fill them with treats that all your horse pals can trot on home with:
- Horse pencils and notepads
- Crazy straws
- Horse stickers
- Green apple flavored candy
- Green apple lip balm